Quote:

The interesting thing on this forum is that some people make comments (long, detailed criticisms) but they themselves never post any music for others to comment on. Experts sans portfolio, so to speak. So when someone comments on your stuff, consider the source. Eventually, you will learn who has the chops to make an educated comment.

Interesting that you notice that, Bob. I have noticed as well. Back in my early days here I posted something and someone criticied it in specific detail. I went to listen to a song by that commenter and that person can't play, can't sing, and surely can't write.

Now, while it is true that you don't have to be an expert to know good from bad, the idea of criticism is more involved than "by the way, you stink." As an example, while I can't golf anymore, I can tell you why you are slicing by watching your swing. I USED to be a decent golfer. That is a slightly different situation, though. Somebody who can't carry a tune in a bucket really shouldn't be making harsh comments about another person's vocals, and so forth.

You have that subgroup of people who hate this or that and if this or that is present they make the comment, again despite the fact that it is only personal preference and often not being in the game themselves.

Any creative field requires a thick skin. Also it is important to remember that not ever set of ears will like the same things. I am still trying to figure the appeal of the Grateful Dead, yet they had that huge following. I thought they sucked really bad. However, if a forum user posts music that is reminiscent of the Grateful Dead, as long as it is well executed, I can see the value and merit.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.