Thank you all very much for the comments including the remark re the fiddle EQ - I'm gonna take a look at what I used.

Ryszard answered the question about "Chillun" being children. In the rural south "chillun" is heard in both black and white dialects. One of my grandmothers used hit. Many Southerners use soft "r" or if the can often completely avoid them.

Seeker got me to thinking more about the origins of this tune. I think that based on "chillun" and the structure of the verses that it originated as a black spiritual or possibly even a blues tune. Folks who are a lot more studious than me have tried to trace it's beginnings and the couple of Western Swing bands that recorded it in the 1930's gave it no attribution.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the Western Swing genre there were some hot bands back in the 1930-40's. While they featured lap steeps and fiddles as solo instruments they could hold their own and often swapped rhythm players with some of the renown jazz swing bands of the era.