Hi musiclover,

I appreciate your complimentary words. Thank you

Five or six years ago, I had no idea, whatsoever, how one writes lyrics. Melody and harmony were fine, but creating a satisfying lyrical journey to accompany my music completely eluded me. I started reading. Today I must have about 30 or more songwriting books (I've never counted them). I also started attending songwriting seminars. At last, I think it's starting to come together for me!

If it is of any use to you, the most valuable books in my library (and they're ones I keep re-reading over and over again) are the following.
  • Pat Pattison, Songwriting: Essential Guide to Lyric Form and Structure
  • Pat Pattison, Songwriting: Essential Guide to Rhyming
  • Pat Pattison, Writing Better Lyrics (2nd Ed.) (I couldn't be without this one!)
  • Andrea Stolpe, Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps to Effective Storytelling

And to help me appreciate many of the subtleties in music (in relation to chord progressions, etc.) ...

• Jai Josefs , Writing Music for Hit Songs

In my opinion, the above books are the only ones anyone needs. They are unique on the songwriting market and I find them invaluable. I worked through every exercise in each book! It was amazing what came from doing that.

Also, if you go to Pat Pattison' Homepage, you'll find a great deal of useful information under the links called "Lyric Tips" and "Videos".

For what it's worth, I usually buy my books through the BookDepository because the prices are good and they have free, worldwide delivery.

Regarding the videos: when I use still images, I assemble the video in Windows Live Movie Make (it's free and it has lots of great transition effects). When I put a movie together I use OpenShot Video Editor in Linux. It's opensource and, unlike Movie Maker, has multiple tracks. These allow me to blend images and movie clips.

All the best with your writing,
Noel