Quote:

Are there any things you do to "humanize" your generated Tracks ? Sometimes the tracks generated by BB/RB sound a little 'mechanic' . . . Finally - wondering if there's a comprehensive list of "Top things to do to 'humanize' your BB/RB compositions". I know I've seen the topic come and go in various posts.

Joe, the only answer I have for you is "extensive tweaking." I am thinking in particular of a choral voice I used in one composition ("Jarreologie"--see link below to hear). When it came out of BIAB it was rhythmically choppy and harmonically disjointed. No criticism intended; it is just the nature of BIAB's MIDI characteristics. I imported the project into Propellerhead Reason, then spent hours in the MIDI editor smoothing out the harmonies, extending notes where appropriate, and making changes in the attack to sound more human, as well as doubling it at the end to simulate male and female voices. I have a lot of experience with large choirs and my standards are pretty exacting. Most people probably can't tell without comparing to the original just how much work went into it, but to me it was worth it. Not something I'd want to do on every project, though.

HTH,

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."