CYPRESS GROVE

I guess I can blame the good folks at PG Music for awarding me the complete set of RealTracks 'cause here's yet another go at some genre bending.

This time we took a Celtic reel rhythm groove, threw in some bluegrass instruments and applied the mixture to an old traditional blues tune. Skip James recorded the best known version of this tune but several other artists have done it and published their arrangements and there is a mishmash of verses -- many of which have appeared in other songs. We tried to string them together in a manner that made it more linear in a story telling sense. We also threw in a sustained chord and a flatted seventh to spice it up a bit. Did vocals and mixing today (too rainy to play outside). I usually let them sit, age for a few days and make mix tweaks before posting ... but what the heck.

Bass: Bluegrass RealTrack 427
Bodhran: Celtic RealDrums track (wood simple)
Guitar Rhythm: Celtic RealTrack (Drones only) 1304
Banjo Lead: Bluegrass RealTrack 591 (multiple regenerations spliced in Garageband)
Banjo Rhythm: Bluegrass RealTrack 589
Mandolin Lead: Bluegrass RealTrack 436 (multiple regenerations spliced in Garageband)
Mandolin Rhythm: Bluegrass RealTrack 432
Fiddle Lead: Bluegrass RealTrack 596 (multiple regenerations spliced in Garageband)
Fiddle Rhythm: Bluegrass RealTrack 594

Vocal: USB Blue mic

All mixing and effects in Garageband.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Mootsman; 02/26/13 08:10 PM.