Hey Bob and Ian,

I have to apologize for saying "My church owns this computer".. I obviously meant.. that my church owns this keyboard. It was late and I was tired.
I am familiar with midi and how it works, but the church wanted to use the keyboard as the "thru".
When i said sound replacement, we were hoping to not be coming out of the computers out. And how would you do that anyway?
Headphone jacks out again?

I'm already not happy about the keyboards only actual feasible audio out being headphone jacks either. That loses some sound quality, as I understand it... to go all the way from 3.55mm to xlr. Yikes.

In our situation, we have the cpu (brand new computer mbp) at the back of the church and a decent 300 foot to the front of the church.... a usb cable that far will have latency. While midi use is advisable in these scenarios... we are still unsure about this particular keyboard as even the Casio technicians can't seem to tell us how many values sets that it does use, so as to use the proper map patches as needed. So frustrating.

In the end, the church has decided not to use this keyboard..... as work with any amps/speakers/outboxes will require the use of the headphone jacks as outs to those items... and the headphone outs are running an unbalanced pre-amp out of it in them...and puts noise on the line, even with a TRS connector. If we by-pass the unbalanced pre-amp to the headphone.. we lose volume. This particular keyboard is a menace.

Still, for my own knowledge, I'd like to know how all these bigger churches go from computer to speakers?

Sorry, I'm not a novice to midi, but using headphones as outs.. well, that's just not what I'm used to.... and I've never done sound replacement outside of a interface based studio.

Thanks for the help!
-Amy

Last edited by amynelson; 05/01/13 03:38 PM.