I like the smooth sound of this. Nice ...

It sounds a bit too "happy" for a rainy day song..... just my personal observation.

I would have a serious look at the FX you used on the vocals. Rarely does a heavily effected vocal work out well. I couldn't quite put my finger on the FX you used.... whether it is excessive layering or some sort of phaser or something else totally. To me it was too distracting.... I focused on the sound of the vocal rather than the lyric and song.

Indulge me and bare with me a minute. I spend a lot of time helping people with software in another forum, and one of the common issues I see with some recordings is where the person is not totally secure with the sound of their own voice and tend to try to compensate with FX on the vocal. Generally it is a mistake that detracts from the quality of what is really a good song and a good vocal performance. (As is the case here with your song...since I do believe 100% that your voice suits this well)

Generally I will record 3 main vocal tracks. I select one as the lead and run it centered. The other 2 are panned L/R and down to the point you can barely hear them soloed. They only add a subconscious ambiance. For FX on the voice... the only thing I recommend is some light reverb and perhaps EQ with high shelving and very light compression. Nothing else. Of course this is how I do it and is merely a suggestion that you might wish to consider and experiment with.

Good song.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/21/13 05:12 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.