Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rodney -

I went back and forth about removing that breath. I'll take it out on the next pass.

I'll email you later about a new mix.

MULTING is a new term to me - can you explain that a little better - I'm sure everyone here would be interested...

Hey Floyd, its all 100% good. The breath thing a production call and my ear is really sensitive to detail like that!

'Multing' is tedious work usually reserved for the assistant engineer! Ha. Ever wonder how they get GREAT big punchy polished modern drum tones?
Once you have a basic drum track (kick or snare usually but cymbals also) you add a 2nd (or 3rd even) track of JUST kick or JUST snare etc. You place each kick by hand to 'double' the original kick or snare.
This new MULT kick is usually of different EQ tonal quality to add thickness, snap, attack etc. Whatever you need for the sound you vision.
This is done on modern country, rock, pop etc regularly as far back as 20 years ago using drum machines as mults. (We did this in 1986 actually)

Now today with new programs like Slate Drums (Which I recently bought) you can mult form the start. Very advanced and incredible sounding drums. So well recorded.

For this song, we needed mults for ALL of the stops / starts (drums start / stop often here) and all of the breaks.
Here is the difference:

This is from the actual song: All setting equal except the mults.
Notice the original drums have a bit of a 'flabby' kick and plain snare? That is the original unaffected BIAB recordings which are great for a certain feel. Then hear them 'punch'? That is with the kick and snare mults. Everything is bigger and tighter. Bass sits better and sonically fits in the right place.
* Mult Sample* http://www.golproductions.com/multexample.mp3

For some music like Jazz, a soft ultra dynamic drum sound is best. Mults are never needed. But for modern bands like Nickelback, Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean, Train etc... the recordings have been supported.
Basic production technique. Generally there is more that goes into great production than meets the ear.

Hope that helps!~ Cheers.