Tom, thanks! This kind of singing comes very natural to Janice -- we've listened to it for decades. And yep, Floyd nailed the harmony. I've seen a lot of folks struggle with that part over the years. A great baritone part harmony singer can always find a place in a bluegrass band.

Rick, thank you very much. Good to hear that you got outa the box for a bit. I crawl out every now and then and realize how much I like most other genres.

Rob, thanks for the comment on the song and particularly on the breaks. Yeah they do take time. Even short ones like these take a lot of cut and pasting to get the right sound.

Thanks Alyn, Hey some of the old tonks had chicken wire to protect the band from the bottles!

Thank you Joanne -- I think in one way or another at some time or another we've all been there. Glad you liked it!

Herb, thanks! I played in one such place and it was a mix up in the booking. Fortunately they liked our bluegrass band and we had a lead singer who could sing country classics so we survived....

Steven, thank you very much. Glad to run into folks here who came along with that kind of music. Janice's father exposed her to a good amount of it when she was a kid.

Guenter, thanks! I'm glad that we can enjoy each other's productions!

Mike, we appreciate that. BTW, Billie Holiday and Lester Young is about as good as it gets!

Pat, thank you for your insightful remarks. I call what Janice does "bent note" singing. When she first started singing I'd encourage her to bend the notes. Listen to Ralph Stanley sing "Oh Death" sometime and you can hear what influenced me. Some of those mournful bluegrass singers could get four notes from the word "of." Most folks when they listen to bluegrass don't get past the high singing or the banjo smile long enough to hear what those singers can do. And, yes, vicariously living out those songs may be the key and Lord knows, like all of us there has been enough drama with family and friends to develop some feel for the pain that can exist in relationships. I'm blessed to not have to live the songs out! Thanks again and I'll never forget the slippery eel on butter!!

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 09/19/13 06:40 PM.