Title & background information: “Goodbye, Cabrini-Green”. The idea for the song came to me instantly upon reading a newspaper article in 2010 that reported on the planned demolition of "Cabrini-Green", a notorious "low-income" housing project on Chicago's near-North side. I had relatives who had lived in other low-rise housing sites in my home town of Chicago. In my opinion, these “projects” were nothing more than vertically-constructed concentration camps for warehousing poor people, so I imagined the residents may have felt some relief at being released from the place, even though they faced an uncertain future as a result of their sudden, involuntary eviction. I wanted the composition, “Goodbye, Cabrini-Green” to invoke a sense of freedom along with a blues-tinged sense of hope for the future.

Tracks recorded by me: The melody track, on a Yamaha Portatone PSR-232 keyboard.

Tracks generated by BIAB: Bass, drums, piano, strings (into which a tenor sax solo was patched, #782, Sax, Tenor, Solosit Jazz Waltz, Sw 140, featuring Mr. P.J. Perry).

Real Tracks used: Real Drums in Song: #24, JazzOlderWaltz^1-a:Brushes, b:Sticks, featuring Mr. Craig Scott.

Other programs used: Sequenced and bounced-down to audio in Cakewalk Music Creator Pro 24; the acoustic bass and acoustic piano were rendered through BIAB’s “Hi-Q” instruments in SampleTank; the melody track was cloned and the two subsequent tracks were patched with a tenor sax and a trumpet from “First Call Horns” virtual brass instruments; applied reverb and compression to all audio tracks with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio.

Link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1321235&songID=12539237

To the folks on the forum who helped me solve a problem I had encountered during the creation of this song -- Noel96, Matt Finley, BarryKJ, cubanpete, VideoTrack, Guitarhacker, MarioD, and Mac – I wish you gents were my next-door neighbors so I could barbeque some ribs, cook some collard greens with turnips and smoked turkey-tails, whip up a macaroni & cheese casserole, and make cole slaw for you! Thank you for your help.

Last edited by bluage; 10/22/13 10:17 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".