Merry Christmas everybody!! Maybe an odd season for a sad song...but I'd like to get this in for 2013 as it'll likely be the new year before we can record again.

Feeling Nothing At All

Alternate if you have a problem with SC:
Feeling Nothing At All

Several weeks back I was complaining to floyd about my inability to write one of those “tears in the beer” songs for Janice. Straight ahead bluegrass, blues, and some americana stuff seems to come to me every now and then — but I was really struggling with this style. Whether for bluegrass or old school country there’s a dividing point somewhere between the stark (but heart wrenching simplicity) of these songs and the maudlin, angst ridden, often tawdry stuff that you hear on the radio now days. Anyhow, floyd bailed me out from my total writer block by suggesting a song that he had written and posted on the forum last year.

Janice and I listened to his version and it became quickly apparent that he had set the piano on fire and left the stage with his interpretation. There was nowhere to go with it. It so completely captured the whole vibe of the genre that we decided to try and take it in another direction both with the vocal and instrumental arrangement. Janice will be the first to tell you that she’s not a power singer….so I, as always, encouraged her to just sing it the way she felt it. Instrumentally we decided to go with all bluegrass instruments — trying to duplicate the feel we used to create when we played in our BG band. BTW, I included "Janice version" in the header. Search for "Feeling Nothing At All" to find floyd's post.

Knowing how different it was from floyd’s version and that he had written it we were really delighted when he offered up the harmony. And I really appreciate his help with the mix.

Thank y’all for taking your time to listen. Comments are most welcome.

Lead Vocal: Rodes NT1/Blue Icicle USB Interface
Harmony Vocal: Whatever Mr jane uses
Mixing: Garageband with BIAB interface
Mastering: Ozone5

RTs
Bass 1121
Guitar 1109
Fiddle 1124
Mandolin 2043
Mandolin 1699

FEELING NOTHING AT ALL

you opened my heart
to feelings that i'd never known
when we fell on hard times
you left me to face me alone
so i sit here crying
while the whiskey's trying
to help me not recall
and help me feel that old feeling
of feeling nothing at all

feeling nothing at all
cause now nothing's worth feeling
feeling nothing at all
cause that's all i can stand
i stand on the edge
and wait for the fall
into that bottomless hell

you were the first time
that i let my heart cross that line
when you tore me in two
you swore i'd forget you in time
now the phone's off the hook
and the bottle's half empty
just so your memory won't call
and just so i'll feel that old feeling

repeat chorus

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 12/21/13 04:07 PM.