Hi again, Herb.

Thank you for your thoughts.

When I read ...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Of course, the ear is the critical factor here and not the eye..... I use both in my edits. Do I hear something that sounds "off normal"? If so, have a look. DO I see it? If yes, and normally I can see the issue..... then I fix it.... eyeballing and listening.

... I found myself nodding my head and thinking, "That's pretty much how I work, too". The 'look and listen' approach definitely pays dividends. I also find that listening live and listening through headphones are both necessary because they occasionally seem to emphasise different aspects.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, one of the things I find with compressors is that words that are normally quite soft in speech (words like: a, the, an, it, to, my, etc.) get their volumes lifted and they sometimes lack the conversational level after compression. So I adjust those down.

Another thing that I do in Reaper is to use the "Split track at prior zero crossing".

Once this is done, I can then add an independent envelope (volume, pan, etc.) to each of the split sections. By dragging this envelope up and down, that section of the wav file is modified on-screen to show me the changes. I find that being able to see these changes is very useful (just like you've already mentioned).

Because I cross at the "prior zero", I mostly eliminate clicks and pops that sometimes occur when making these kinds of adjustments.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found your reading very useful.

Kind regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024