Originally Posted By: MikeK
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

DRUMS: the drums are fine if you can simply tame that one side stick.... it does stand out. Lower it's level or find a way to roll it's EQ off to smooth it down a bit. That side stick was really the only part of the drum kit I could hear easily on these cheap speakers.

Appreciate your input and totally agree. But, since I used RDs, I can't single out the side kick in my mix... it's got to be a one for all adjustment. I'll try my best, but totally agree with you on this one!!!

Thanks for your valuable input!

Use a parametric EQ and find the center of the side stick's freq.... it's gonna be fairly high.... the put a notch on the center of that freq and pull it down... you don't have to do very much to notch it out a bit. That will get that clicking aspect out.

On the vocals, have you tried layering them? I use layering to fatten up vocals. Record 3 unique takes. Don't copy or clone. Pick the best one for the lead up the center at volume. Use your vocal pitch fixing on it and apply reverb as previously described. Pan the other 2 tracks hard opposite each other and using volume envelopes, pull them both down to around -18 to -22 db below the main vocal. You can apply a slightly heavier reverb or leave them totally dry. Experiment to see what works best for the song.

You do not want them up loud enough to where they sound like obvious double tracking. Less is more on vocal layering. This is a very common technique used in the "big" studios to give a really fat sound to all the singers voices these days. Error on the low side.... it never hurts to knock a few more db off the panned track levels.

You should only be able to hear those tracks at all if the vocal buss is soloed. In the mix they should not be readily apparent. The subconscious ear will hear them and the result is a perceived fatter vocal sound. I generally do not fix the vocals nor do I use much reverb in the tracks.

One thing to be aware of.....be absolutely sure the 2 layer tracks are as close to the main as possible. Be sure the "s's" at the ends of words are lined up.... you don't want "ghost echo's" in there, because that stuff will show up fast in a poorly synced mix.

It's possible with work, and attention to details, to get a really professional sounding vocal track at home. Good equipment also helps.

hope this helps you some towards that goal.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/17/14 05:47 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.