Originally Posted By: ROG
I think it was very brave of you to run with such minimalist instrumentation - it's never easy to get that sort of backing working, but you've achieved it magnificently. The track is full of atmosphere and most importantly, it suits the mood of the lyrics. I love the way the sax gets busier as the song progresses. It's a clever way of building the tension without increasing the instrument count.

Singing - wonderful by you both.

Mix - Yes, I put it up on the Tannoys and cranked it and it sounded great. The mix seems fairly dry and in-your-face, which gives it lots of punch and clarity. Made it sound very intimate, which I liked.

Is there anything I can find to critisize? Having said I like the dryish mix, I might have put a sprinkling of reverb on the sax to sweeten it a bit. At times it felt a little too far forward, but at that I'm having to look really hard to find something.

Really nice to hear you venture out of your routine with this one. More please. ROG.

ROG - Thanks for all of that. I'm quite pleased that you picked up on exactly what I tried to do with this... the sax part was "designed" to reflect what was happening in the lyric as it progressed - getting increasingly more "chaotic" as the city gets grittier... I wanted you to feel like you were being "accosted" by the sax as the lyrics says "..the push and shove..." - and to scream like a siren towards the end...
I've wanted to do something like this for quite some time... and this seemed like the right lyric to carry it. I did, in fact, work with the reverb on the sax - it was a very fine line - any more seemed like "too much" very quickly...
Appreciate your in-depth look at this...