Originally Posted By: titiclarinet
In C major and A minor there are no flats and sharps (except a G# often found in A minor).

There are actually 3 minor scales (excluding modes). Your G# in Am is the harmonic minor scale which is the same as the natural minor (no sharps or flats in C) except that the seventh degree is raised by one semitone (G#), making an augmented second between the sixth and seventh degrees. A nice sound by the way (listen to Summertime by Janice Joplin)

But never mind that, I am afraid the OP is over simplifying the point. Countless Melodies hide within the very same chord progressions. Otherwise, every I IV V would sound the same. So no simple answer (at least from me) on how you turn a melody into a chord progression. But that is a actually a good thing, cause a simple progression can be used to cover all those melodies. Start with an instrument (assuming you play and if you don't pick up a guitar and take a fell lessons on how to play simple chords), strum them as you sing the melody and let you ear tell you where to go.

A bit of similar discussion going on regarding this very topic:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140607

My conclusion (and what do I know) -
There's no quick formula to circumvent experience. What you need is lot's familiarity with music theory and/or a lot of experience, and a real good ear.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 05/25/14 05:43 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper