Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

.....The write actually took a lot of "contemplation, effort and work." Maybe
The rhyme structure isn't consistent with how you start in the first verse. What you set in the first verse is "usually" the pattern for the balance of the song. The rhymes should fall in the same places in the following verses.
6 verses and a bridge. The pattern is AAAABAA
V1: Cheers and Years at the end of 2&4
V2: Guys & eyes again at the end of 2&4
V3: no rhyme at all ........ something should rhyme with quickly
V4: no rhyme at all...........rhyme should have been with pocket
Bridge: No rhymes here either
V5: Sound and town BUT at the end of 1&3
V6: wrong & Along..... like v5 at the end of 1&3... you might be able to say fun & woman also rhyme as imperfect rhymes at the end of 2&4........

Hey Herb, if you can accept the concept of "near rhymes" I think you will find that lines one/three and two/four either rhyme or near rhyme for every verse and the bridge. I did that intentionally.

BTW other terms I see used for near rhymes are approximate rhyme, inexact rhyme, imperfect rhyme (as you alluded to), slant rhyme, soft rhyme, etc., and lazy rhyme smile English poets grew fond of the convention and it seems to go in and out of popularity.

For example, look again at V4 which you said had no rhymes and consider the following:

Drummer/Nighter and Pocket/Ticket

My structure for this tune was to intentionally not rhyme lines 1/2 and 3/4 but rather to rhyme lines 1/3 and 2/4

"I found a good bass man and a solid drummer
Brought in a hot guitar and we fell right in the pocket
I called the old club and got us in with a one nighter
Word was that our opening night was a hot ticket"

I feel you are viewing this from the 1/2 and 2/4 perspective. Heck, if I'm gonna break rules I might as well break whatever rules cover which lines have to be rhymed while I'm at it smile

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 08/07/14 02:55 PM.