Howdy floyd!

I've been listening to “Do You Remember?” two or three times a week since you first posted it. It's such a great song and so easy on the ears. The emotional contour that shapes the arrangement's development is awesome. It's easy to hear that you've spent a lot time massaging this mix into shape. Also, I have to say that Janice and you continue to be a formidable and delightful force as a vocal duo.

Each time I've listened, I come away thinking that this song is a terrific testimony to your strengths across each and every aspect of writing, arranging, performing and mixing. If you were a poker player, “Do You Remember?” would have to be a royal flush. I don't think it gets any better than this!

Out of interest ...

A number of years ago, I remember reading in a songwriting book that if a lyricist wanted to create a comic effect, using the the rhyme scheme found in limericks is one way to achieve this. This caused me a bit of thinking at the time because I wasn't convinced that humour was simply the result of rhyme movement. I'd forgotten all about those thoughts until I listened to “Do You Remember?”. In these lyrics, you've elegantly addressed the above misconception that rhyme alone creates comedy. Even though your song uses the rhyme scheme found in limericks, there is no sense of the comical at all. Quite the contrary, in fact. The rhyme scheme works hand-in-glove with the music, the arrangement and the lyrics to create a very, very satisfying emotional journey. The apex of this emotional journey is the bridge and into the last chorus. It's incredibly emotive songwriting.

I also like the way that you've once again used apostrophe as a design device. My interpretation of these lyrics is that the singer is lying in bed and singing to the empty space beside him as if it were his partner. That's the 'now' of the song. As I mentioned in "Eric , Whaddaya Say” (link), apostrophe, as a lyric writing device, is a great technique for developing lyrics that ring with truth and sincerity. Twice in a row you've now showed us how to do it!

Lastly, all those “w” sounds in “when we would kiss; the world would stop” are impressive and definitely effective at sonically gluing the line together.

OK. It's back for another listen now.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. As others have already noted, and I totally agree, the line “I need a touch of once upon a time” is lyric inspiration at it's best.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024