Nice work on this. Lyrically, well done. Everything in place like it needs to be. Piano sounds nice. Just the right level of steel floating in the background.

Several folks have mentioned the electric lead. I have to agree with them, the lead doesn't fit into the song like it needs to. I don't think reverb is solely the answer, I think the tone needs to be looked at, and something done about it, as ROG was suggesting.

Many country songs use the overdriven distorted tone and it works well. So it's not the distortion that makes it not fit properly.... it's the tone... the EQ of that lead. It has a hollow sound to it. like someone tried to EQ it and screwed up the mids. I have found this same issue when I have used the RB leads. It may be due to the key change algorithms or the recording of the tracks to start with, but sometimes the tone just isn't right. If the quality of the mix was not as good as it is, the tone would be covered up by other things..... but that's not the case.... you have excellent quality on the other instruments and that lets the tone of the guitar show. This could be construed as a "personal opinion" but 2 others heard something there too. As a guitar player, this stands out to me.

I don't know how PG recorded the RT's but I have had very similar tonal disasters when I attempt to use some of the amp sims. I hate those things. I can never get them sounding quite like a real amp in a room. Maybe I'm too picky when it comes to guitar tone. Anyway.... So I record one of 2 ways. Either through a hardware based Line 6 POD 2, or through a tube amp (Mesa) with a mic on the speaker. Either of those give me a "real guitar" tone.

My plan of action would be: render several tracks and see if they are all the same.... tone wise. Perhaps select a different real track to use.... listen to the tone. It's amazing that choosing a different RT can be as different as day and night. If all else fails, choose a different instrument as the lead/fills or play a live guitar part in there.

I like how you use the lead on the fills. The application of the instrument is spot on.

Really well done song.... and the guitar tone is acceptable as is. Not many folks would register a complaint with it. I've listened to that song about 4 or 5 times...... I keep thinking back to an old Ronnie Milsap song.....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.