Originally Posted By: dcuny
It's always a pleasure to listen to your songs. Flawless productions with nice touches all around.

One thing that I love about your lyrics as how efficient they are. In a very short space you lay out the scene with enough specific details to paint a picture, start the story, hook in the listener... and create a setup to contrast with the second verse. The last line in the chorus brings another layer of meaning, and brings the hook back.

My spilling-over-the-brim hat's off to you! smile

David - Thanks for that wonderful review... I quoted you here because you picked out some very important things in terms of songwriting... a fairly good summary of how I approach writing. It generally starts with a hook or that main idea which is the hook - even if it is not a "hook" in the conventional sense of the word. I develop those ideas in my head before starting to write (usually)... so I know how it will begin (to grab the listener's attention)...how that will feed into the chorus... how to structure a second verse to "put a new twist" on the main idea which again feeds to the chorus - hopefully with a fresh angle... If I intend to use the hook to both open and close the chorus, if at all possible, I want the second use of it (at the end) to have "new meaning" (compared to the first line). You can't always do that, but it's nice when you can...

In this song, it started with the concept of "breaking down" - the truck and the man - so you get a nice double meaning from that phrase. "a perfect night" came secondary to that and was nice icing..

I do a lot of planning before (and as) I write to have those things happens in a very natural way.

If I CAN'T find these type things for an idea that I might be considering, it's usually best to look for a different idea. Or...you end up writing songs with no meat. Repeating the same thought over and over...

I thought your comments were perceptive - and so took this opportunity to "bore ya with the details" a bit...

Thanks again...