Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Thanks Noel! Always appreciate your very thoughtful comments. I don't know where I got the idea to use personification. When I think about it, the example I remember from relatively modern pop is Winchester Cathedral. I did enjoy (and still do) those oldies. People seemed to think and explore much more in those days than they do now-guess their too busy on their iphones! Thanks again Noel, and keep posting! New Xmas tune is great! Take care. Greg

Greg,

When I think of personification, the songs that always spring to my mind are "Galveston" (a Jimmy Webb composition sung by Glen Campbell) and "I Write The Songs" (Barry Manilow). The town/city 'Galveston' in "Galveston" is personified in second person and 'music' in "I Write the Songs" is personified in first person: two different approaches with two different lyric effects.

Like your song, "Galveston" also uses a construction technique called apostrophe. This is a great lyric writing strategy and has been used by a number of highly successful lyricists. Apostrophe involves addressing an absent person, thing or place in second person and as if it is present and will 'answer' (hence the personification).

I really like what you've done with "Sausalito". I agree with Herb. You are definitely one of the forums best wordsmiths.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024