I've been absent for a while, but I was stuck sick at home today with a copy of BiaB 2015...

What else to do, but write a song? laugh

Love's Forgotten Song
dreams are only for the young
bright sun as the day's begun
like an open road right in front of us
past the ever bright star
here we are

lovers and the closest friends
once gone never coming back again
you held your hand in mine only yesterday
now that memory is all that remains

so we somehow came apart
still you live in my secret heart
holding deep inside the saddest part of me
i can never quite say goodbye, goodbye

words to our forgotten song
once known but now we sing it wrong
now we can't recall that sweet melody
only comes to me now in my dreams

Song info:
Style is _B140GTB.STY (Bossa Brazilian Quartet (140 RS))
~464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
~470:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
~467:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
704:Flute, Soloist Bossa Ev 140
BossaBrushes: a: Sidestick Brushes b: Sidestick, Ride

I was originally inspired by R & AM's track 2015 but I ended finding a Bossa Nova RealTrack I liked, so went that route instead. The chord progression is auto-generate using the Melodist feature.

I tried auto-generating some melodies, but nothing struck my fancy, so I went into notation mode and clicked and dragged notes until it sounded melodic. No doubt I've accidentally copied something from a distant memory...

I listened to the song in loop mode and started typing words to fit the syllables - not the typical way I work, but it was apparently quite successful for Phil Collins. I was thinking about those subtitled foreign films, where the lyrics are "proper" English, but feel a bit "stiff"... I think I succeeded! wink

I printed out the melody from BiaB, and entered the melody into Vocaloid. I tweaked it in some places to fit the words a bit better, and then exported .wav files.

I exported the backing tracks from BiaB as .wav files as well, and built the mix in Reaper. The flute solo was cut-and-pasted together, and I fiddled with the mix for a while until ennui settled in.

Then I struggled for a while with SoundCloud, until it decided it wanted to play nice again.

As always, any comment is welcome (although given my extended absence, undeserved). The tempo is probably a bit too fast, and the rhythm stilted in places, but hey...

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?