Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, all your many skills are on full display with this one. Maybe your best write. Certainly your best vocal. A polished mix and great editing of the real tracks. This all adds up to a winner. ( very small, tiny, barely even noticeable nit- I would have changed the word "growing" to "grows". Flows a little better with one less syllable. Without question my favorite of yours so far. Tom

Tommy, yes... I agree.... I did in fact play around with that line... it was one of the ones that was changed from something totally different the morning I was recording it...I had to go back and punch 2 tracks to make the change.... and the "ing" was something I pondered....I even considered would "weeds" work better than "grass"... grow vs growing.... thanks for noticing the nits..... it's in the details of something that really either makes it shine or not.

This write was one of the more satisfying writes I have done in quite a while.

The vocals.... thank you...I rarely ever spend a lot of time on vocals. I basically sing a scratch, mainly as a guide for my production chops.....and once I have the phrasing and lyrics like I want them, I will delete the track totally and record the keeper. This vocal was, I think the second full take on the keeper.... then I punched in some changes the second and final day.... I record the BGV's and HVT's the same way...except they are generally one shot, first take and it's done recordings. I do not punch (generally) the BGV ...and there's no corrections. The lead vox does get minor treatment by melodyne.

For those who don't know how I normally record my vox..... the lead is up the center. The 2 lead duplicate tracks are -18db to -22db down and panned 100% Left and Right respectively. The 2 harmony tracks are done the same.... except they are only about -14db below the lead. Slight reverb in the vocal bus.

thank you for listening and commenting.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/09/15 04:28 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.