Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
History repeats itself.

I remember in the late 70s when industry was leaving the rust belt and moving south to escape the unions. Billy Joel's ALLENTOWN told a very similar story of that area's decline.

For the next 30 years the south prospered with the influx of jobs... but history repeats itself, and the manufacturing started moving south of the border to get lower wages. Add the problem of corporate stores coming in like carpetbaggers and sucking potential income away from the local retail sector who might have found a niche if they had just stayed away. But they didn't.

Both times in both places it was the small towns that relied on one or two main industries and a lot of supporting small businesses that felt the effects first. In those places the loss of one company could potentially trickle down to the whole community. And it eventually did. Without new money coming in from outside, there's only so long you can recirculate the same money from business to business.

I like the honesty of this song, and the fact that you didn't pull any punches. Your lyrics were very well written, saying just what needed saying and nothing more or less. You're really good at this Herb. I'd say I enjoyed it, but the topic of economic decline has affected me for too long, and I'm tired of it. I wish it would go away, but it never will.

You sure did an excellent job of describing it though. I just wish the song wasn't necessary.

Thanks Pat for the interesting observations..... yes... so sad, but time goes on like they say and we somehow adapt and survive. It's sad to see a way of life being snuffed out for a dollar though.

The hardware store here that closed was a handy place to grab a plumbing pipe connector or some seed for the garden. Of course, it cost a few cents more than the big box in town.... but you'd spend 10x the extra cost in gas to get there to save that small amount.... but one stop shopping won out in the end.

Thank you for the kind words about my writing.... much appreciated.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.