Really nice second version.

I was expecting to hear smooth jazz,,,, but you jumped genre from smooth jazz way over to country.

I really like the first section.... A LOT!!!! It's sparse, and the guitar fills are not competing for space with the vox... and the vox is superb!!!! Yes.. and it sets in the proper place in the mix. Nice and clear, easy to hear all the nuances and subtleties.

This reminded me of a Patsy Cline song.... nice stuff.

I would seriously think about getting rid of the steel totally. Bring in some strings in it's place in that third section. Patsy Cline used strings..... strings could be as simple as the PG Cello...

Additionally: If you start a song in a given key.... lets say C major.... and you use C F G.... then you modulate to D major where the chords are D G A... You should consider going into the BAR SETTINGS dropdown and changing the key in the bars to match D major. This ensures that the instruments are playing the correct chords and scales. Listen to the steel in the last section....from around 3:50 to the end.... you will hear some totally off key things going on.

... it's almost there IMHO. Kill the steel, use strings of some sort, and fix the key problem. Actually, if you take the steel out the "key problem" might resolve itself with no additional effort. I'd kill the steel before editing the bars for key signatures. It's easier to hit mute.

NOTE TO LISTENERS: Carolyne sent me the vocal track to her song. I used Melodyne in my DAW to adjust it a bit.... nothing major.... just a few minor fixes pulling notes closer to the pitch they should have been on. It was a bit of a challenge, in places, to fix only the parts that needed it, while leaving the character and color in her original recording. I had to split more than a few notes and only adjust the center of the note to pitch while leaving the vocal slide up and down on either side in place.

IMHO... this turned out really, really well. Oh yeah... I ran a very slight processing on it afterward to brighten it just the slightest bit, essentially a high pass with a flat upper end. I sent her the original fixt, and the process fixt and let her choose between them.

Carolyne.... very well done.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/14/15 08:45 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.