Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice and Bud,

It's taken me a long while to get back to this song. I don't know where time goes. When I checked out the document that I started typing up in relation to “Side Effects”, I discovered it was created on January 25! I thought it was only a couple of weeks ago!!!

Noel, just you taking the time to write the above about our song is alone flattering...but then to have put so much thought provoking information into it makes it even more so.

When I first started work on the song I had a 12 bar blues in mind (AAA) but it just seemed that the lyric needed more information. I didn't want a chorus or a bridge so I turned to an 8 bar blues format. I wanted to keep the "I should have read your label cause..." line in every verse but I knew that finding rhymes for cause for all 4 verses that worked with the particular "side effect" in the verse would be about impossible.

That's when I decided to see if I could get away with the AAXA scheme. I thought using better rhymes might soften the dissonance of having line three "hanging out there." It's very exciting that you not only noted this and explored but it, most importantly, that you thought it worked.

We have a saying here that "if a blind hog roots around long enough, he'll find an acorn." That's the way I feel about my song writing attempts. I know so little about convention that sometimes (but not often!) my floundering around produces something that seems to work.

And thanks for digging out that example of the AAXA. It was fascinating to see and read it.

Thanks again for your time, patience and analysis of this structure. And we look forward to seeing where you take it.

Best regards,

J&B