Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

I like so many things about this.

Your vocal is so uniquely....Noel! Like a Randy Newman vocal. Or Tom Waits. Identifiable! Cool.

This song "took me back" - as your songs often do. So many of them sound like they were lifted right out of the great musical movies of the past. I could not help but see/hear Gene Kelly performing this (sauntering as he did, of course). Tin Pan Alley all the way.. Cool.

"footloose and fancy free" smile Nice!

(I did not read your lyric pdf. I prefer to let a song speak for itself)

Your chorus is delightful. Thematic and demonstrative! Cool.

Terrific mix! LOVE your harmonies. The piano solo is inspired. Interesting mix of instruments.

A pleasure to listen to.

floyd

floyd,

Thank you for listening and for the feedback! It seems that I'm destined to sound like Tin Pan Alley! Oh well, there are worse things in life smile On the upside, it's definitely the period of popular music that appeals to me so I can live with it comfortably enough.

The harmonies came about by accident. Because of the key I was in, and the melody I'd chosen, if I sang a vocal line below the melody, it worked but it didn't do much to enhance the overall sound. The same thing happened if I sang a voice above. When I tried adding both above and below vocals, the sound was too full for what I wanted. At that point, I decided to leave the song without harmony. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried a classical counterpoint approach. It's been a decade or so since I last thought about counterpoint. Anyway, I grabbed Melodyne, took the vocal line that I sang below the melody and changed the pitch of the notes so that they followed the principles of First Species Counterpoint. I couldn't believe it when I played it back. It worked.

So what you're hearing in the harmony is actually my vocal part below the melody that's been pitch shifted to give a counterpoint melody against the original melody (if that makes sense). I didn't re-sing the second part because the Melodyne pitch-shifted notes seemed to do the job.

The piano solo (RT 2027) is the result of probably 50 regenerations. Whenever I came across something I liked in a (re)generation of the track, I saved it. This particular RT seems to have many possible variations. I then hunted through the saved files and compiled a track from the bits I liked best.

Thanks again for dropping in. It's always great to see/read you.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024