Quote:
Dan,

This is excellent - really swings. Great vocal, mix and cool sax solo. Nice job. smile

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Hey Dan,

This is fantastic. It really pulled me in. Before I knew it, my feet were tapping along and I was swaying to and fro in my chair (in a subdued kind of way in case people were watching)!

I completely agree with Bob when he said,

Quote:
This is excellent - really swings. Great vocal, mix and cool sax solo. Nice job. smile

You've definitely got a gift for melody and harmony.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks you very much, Noel. It probably helped a bit that I spent three years in a big band with some really good brass players lined up behind me. I think it helped me with things like phrasing, and just horn lines in general.

I usually do my listening in the basement where people can't see me dancing. grin
Quote:
Hi Dan,

there's so much to praise in this song I don't know where to start: clever lyrics, nice arrangement, outstanding brass fills, good vocals, nice sounding harmonies, stunning sax solo.
A groovy foot tapping song which makes you fancy listening
again.

Guenter

P.S. You should play your sax more often.

Thanks, Guenter. I'm very pleased that you liked it, and even more pleased that you would consider listening to it more than once.

I agree about the saxophone playing. My 84 year old mother was giving me a hard time about not playing it, so this solo is for her. I think (hope) there will be more sax in my future.

Quote:
A huge +1 to everything Guenter said!!!

This is spectacular. The horn work is stunning!

Super vocals. Excellent mix!

... and those horns! OMG!

Is the brass ensemble a patch (an ensemble) that you played with your EWIUSB? or did you play several tracks? You have a great feel for horn arrangement - I can't even begin to imagine doing that...

Nice work, Dan!

floyd

Thanks, floyd.

The brass parts were originally just a trumpet and trombone part which I played separately to give it more of a ensemble sound as opposed to just using the same track with multiple patches. I did multiple (many! lol) takes so when I was mixing, I took some of the other takes and transposed them an octave down. The result was 2 trumpets and 2 trombones playing octaves. It really fattened up the sound, imo.
This song was a bit of an experiment for me as I had never really tried to incorporate the EWI into this style of music. I wish I could remember more of the basic arranging skills I learned when I was younger. Makes me wish I'd paid more attention and drank a little less beer in college. grin

Quote:
You've definitely got it all going here.
The write is fun and the vocals nail
the feel. Great sax, horns and a mix
that to my ears is spot on.

Kudos!

J&B

Thanks, J&B. I'm especially pleased that you liked the mix. I tried to spend a little more time on it than I usually do. This tune was a bit of a challenge for me to mix (well, more than usual, lol) because I'm not used to so many parts going on.

Quote:
Cool song!! Fun and clever. Horns sound great. What samples do you control with the EWIUSB? Really good vocal and mix. Very much enjoyed it all!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg.
The VST I used for this song is called WIVI Band by a company called Wallander Instruments. It's a (very) EWI friendly VST which doesn't take a ton of horsepower to run. I think it's actually a combination of samples and physical modeling technology although I'm not 100% certain about that. It was definitely one of the better $90.00 I have spent on music software, at any rate. Incidentally, WIVI Band can also be made to sound quite convincing using a keyboard and a breath controller instead of an EWI.

Thanks for listening,
Dan