Originally Posted By: Noel96
...click image

HA! Loved the little guy, Noel!

Quote:

What a great musical journey! A terrific drive through the countryside of down-to-earth humour. Scenery, laughs and smiles all the way. And a toe-tapping beat to keep the feet actively involved as well. All wrapped up in a first class arrangement, top notch performance and outstanding production. Excellent stuff!

Your reviews are always music to my ears!.

Quote:

When I first saw the song's title in the forum, I sat looking at it and thinking about it for around 15 minutes. It's one of the most intriguing titles I've ever seen. I was fascinated and I found myself wondering how anyone could use such a title in a song. What theme links a 'pawnshop' to 'that woman'? While vivid images appeared when I thought about either 'pawnshop' or 'that woman', I could not, for the life of me, think of a link between the two that had sufficient potential to create a whole song lyric. I'm envious of your ability to find a song in the most unusual and unexpected places.

Interesting observation, Noel. Finding the IDEA is often the biggest part of writing a (worthwhile) song. Once an idea occurs to you, if you can sort of map out the journey the song will take, quickly in your head, then you know immediately that you have something worth pursuing. If you can't do that, then you will often struggle to make the later parts of the song interesting.

Quote:
I can't remember which song it was but, a while back, I recall commenting on how you used the rhyme scheme found in limericks to complement the emotional journey of a serious song. In “Pawnshop”, you've chosen a different path. You've taken the rhyme technique of a limerick (AABBA) and used it to enhance the effect of comedy.

I don't typically plan structure like that - it simply "occurs" as I write - naturally - it "feels right".

Quote:
...I saw the format and realised how you made me laugh out loud. That was a very clever touch. If it's possible to be a 'Le Cordon Bleu' songwriter, you are definitely one.

LOL - always good to get a chuckle from someone (when it is intended, of course)

Quote:
Steve Seskin

Steve is SUCH a fine writer. "Life's A Dance" was one of my major templates for many years.

Your discussion of form and sequence always fascinates me. Partly because I don't consciously consider it as I write. It is, again, something that generally presents itself as I formulate the idea (journey) of the song - sort of naturally for what the song needs to be based on the subject and the effect that I want to song to achieve.

Quote:

Lastly, I liked the way that you ended each song section with a refrain that finished with an open, long vowel sound. The “-ay” sound felt comfortable. If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that Oscar Hammerstein II (of Rodgers and Hammerstein, “Sound Of Music”, etc.) liked to end the lyric of his song sections on an open vowel wherever he could, too. Seems like you're in good company.

I can't deny that I enjoy your choice of comparisons...lol

Quote:
Once again, thank you for letting me work my way through your songs. I really enjoy trying to apply what I've picked up from books and seminars. It's through these analyses that I learn such a lot. In so many ways, your works are a terrific resource for understanding the finer points of song craftsmanship.

Believe me, the pleasure is mine.

Quote:
All in all… an excellent creation, an excellent presentation and a brilliant production. It seems to me that you have definitely discovered how to output the quality of a professional studio. This really doesn't sound like BIAB at all.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks so much, Noel, for such a wonderful review and thoroughly enjoyable discussion. (AND the little guy!)