Originally Posted By: Icelander
Quick tech question if I may: A slow-down ending like you've done there is something you just don't get out of BBox as it comes (and many times I've requested it!), so I'm very curious how you pulled that one off?

All production related to the slow down was accomplished in BB.

HOW: at the end....I added about 10 measures to the song....so I could do a proper fade of the held final chord.
Then starting with the chord immediately after the pause on the tag.... I split the 4 beat measures into 2 beat measures. Actually.... split is the wrong word. You take the 4 beat measure and make it a 2 beat measure.... but now you have to add a measure for the next 2 beats of the original measure. That was also the reason I added 10 measures. I was going to need about 4 more measures and I needed time for the final chord to ring as it was held. (Does that make sense?)

You can go into the bar settings measure by measure and change them from 4 beats to 2 beats. In the same window, you can adjust the base tempo of that measure. So.... I essentially double the number of measures and then start slowing the tempo in each successive one. Example.... lets say the song is at 100bpm normally.... (because I forget the actual tempo) So the first 2 beat measure after the pause.... I set to 90, the next 85, the next 80, the next 75 and the final one 70 but with the held note it almost doesn't matter.

The reason I split the measures down to 2 beats is so that the tempo drop is not heard as a series of steps but a much more smooth deceleration. Resolution.

I have discovered that the better sounding deceleration is the one that is more dramatic.... as in 100 to 70 vs 100 to 90. It took several adjustments to the individual tempos to get a good slow down. And truth be told, I probably should have dropped the numbers a bit more.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/20/15 01:35 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.