Originally Posted By: semar
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I like the character in your voice. It has a slight rough edge that sounds really cool.

I totally agree with Guitarhacker here. In addition, I find the whole song a masterpiece in the mixing area.

Congratulation Tom, I think you've reached the excellence.

Would you be so kind and share your hints/tips/secrets for such a professional work ?

Please go on,
Sergio
Sergio, I don't know that there are any secrets here. 21 tracks each one has several plug ins ( alloy, nectar, EQ, compression, etc. ) I keep twisting knobs till it sounds good. I mix the best I can, then add Ozone and LinMB on the output and mix again. On this one I kept adding and subtracting instruments and tweaking the mix over forty days. Many, many versions. Then when I am seriously sick of it I either post it or put it in my throwaway pile for later consideration. I have really been paying more attention to the lyrics by rewriting, then rewriting again and again. It's funny how some of the most obvious soft spots in the lyrics tend to show up after a few days rest. Eventually it hits a plateau and you call it finished. I am always learning new things in mixing. Recently I have been checking the mix in mono. If the instrument placement doesn't sound right in mono then there is too many instruments in the same EQ range. If it's not right in mono it can't be right in stereo. I also have been turning off all reverb when rendering real tracks. I will add reverb on my own but I have been finding that especially pianos sound better with zero reverb. I also have been checking the direct box on guitars and running them through plug in amps. Hope this helps. Tom