Quote:
Today is the third anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook elementary school. I wanted to make a Christmas song, but one that honored the sacrifice of those children and all who have died in mass shootings since then.

Writing this review is hard. Probably the hardest review to write of any song I've given an opinion on.

The children didn't sacrifice, they were slaughtered. This is a really, really hard topic to write about. It has to be done carefully, with forethought, and much discretion.

Personally, I think this topic should have been handled with more taste. Sure it's a tough topic, and it can be addressed in song, but perhaps, in a more thought-out and tasteful manner. I don't see how Christmas and getting shot in the face go together or Santa "packing heat" and making people "sorry they attacked". In fact, it seems to be more biased to make guns and southerners look bad than to honor the children you claim it is about.

Let me point you to a song about another hard topic..... domestic abuse where a murder suicide occurs and the child has to witness it..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEPjwnbf_o

OR.... wife/spouse abuse and alcoholism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VPpAZ9_qAw

Notice that both songs are about murder suicide. You get the idea and understand it completely, but it's not in your face. Both are quite tasteful in their approach. Independence Day, in fact caused quite a bit of controversy despite it's intelligent way of dealing with a tough topic in a tasteful manner.

I'm not saying don't write this.... just put more thought into how you are going to say something. The way things are said will turn many listeners off. Sorry if this review seems harsh. That's the way I see it.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/15/15 03:58 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.