Looking at the website for this preamp, there are front and back views...

BACK VIEW: click on the "back view" button
http://www.aer-amps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=386&Itemid=100410&lang=en

It clearly says 24 vdc with the center pin positive and the shield/chassis ground negative. If you feed anything else to this power input, you risk sever damage to the unit faster than you can pull the plug back out. The 24v phantom power input means 24 volts...not 48 volts. If a mixer delivers 48v, do not use it. You will damage the preamp.

For this preamp, you will need to get the proper power supply to ensure it works properly and doesn't sustain damage from the wrong supply voltages.

It needs 24vdc to work properly....Applying the wrong voltage of 48 volts is twice as much as it needs. 10% or so is generally acceptable but not a 100% increase. I would wager money that applying 48vdc will damage the preamp.

Another reason to get the correct power supply is it will provide not only the correct voltage, but will also have the capacity to deliver the current needed by the preamp and very importantly.... the correct polarity. Throwing the proper voltage of 24vdc but in reverse polarity can also cause substantial damage to the components on it's circuit board.

Yes... you will sustain damage with the wrong voltage.

Since you're asking this, my assumption is you do not have the power supply with this preamp. In that case, I would find and purchase the proper plug in power supply to use with it. Contact the mfgr and buy it from them.... that way, you're assured of getting the right one to make things work properly.

EDIT TO ADD: You could use this preamp with any mixer...as a preamp, but do not use the 48v phantom power of any mixer or interface to provide the power for it to operate.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/29/16 08:10 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.