REWIND ME
(Lyric video - an audio only link is provided at the bottom of this post)

Hi folks, this is our first J&B post in a couple of months. Having big fun with collabs and going through several different versions of this tune has taken most of our music time of late.

I recently bought Janice a cajon and talked her into introducing her playing on this reggae tune. Yep, reggae is definitely an interesting rhythm to learn percussion on! Janice has always played rock solid rhythm guitar and I’ve noticed and heard her tapping out rhythms for years so I figured why not play some real percussion?

I wrote this admittedly simple 12 bar blues lyric for her to experiment with - vocally and with the cajon. The production started much more bluesy, then became an acoustic version and finally settled with this funky wah wah version thanks to PeterF. Peter and Janice were working on a blues collab and he graciously played some lead and rhythm guitar on this song. So it has become, I suppose, reggabluesfunk smile

I took the reggae RD track and removed all of the kick drum and most of the snare leaving primarily the ride and timbale. Janice then filled in with the cajon “kick,” “snare” and other sounds. She is certainly a novice and I’m new at attempting to mic and mix the thing but it was interesting project. BTW, we added the handclaps to emphasize that important reggae third beat. I certainly don't mean to imply that we know much about reggae but we had fun.

Thanks to all who take their time to listen and comment. We greatly appreciate you!

Janice: vocal and percussion
PeterF: lead and rhythm guitars
Bud: audio and video things
Stuff used: Biab, Logic Pro X, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Waves TruVerb, Nectar 2,
Rodes mic, MXL mic and Focusrite interface

Percussion: Meinl Cajon (mics front/rear to separate tracks)
Bass: RT 1157 Reggae sw
Drums: RD Reggae sw (all kick and most snare removed)
Organ: 1159 Reggae sw
Piano: 1160 Reggae sw
Handclaps: Bud, Janice and loops - thanks fj (6 tracks)

And a big thanks to the several forum members who offered me guidance on this project!

Bud

https://soundcloud.com/mootsman/rewind-me