St. Louis Blues -- VIDEO
Audio Only
(Depending on the vagaries of website compression at any given time one of the above may have less artifacts, be hotter and/or just sound better.

Hi folks, this is our first song in three months. This year is flying by or as a friend of mine says "time flies like an arrow…fruit flies like a banana." smile

As one of the most popular public domain* songs St Louis blues has been recorded by hundreds of artists with incredibly varied arrangements - many of great renown. We decided to do a boogie boogie version of it…one that we could imagine folks jitter bugging or lindy hopping to in the 1930’s and 40’s. Not to mention that we’ve wanted to use this piano midi super track for some time smile

We rewrote and tweaked some of the lyric to more reflect a woman’s perspective and to come up with a “cleaner” version than the original (trust me!). Interestingly this has got to be a very early appearance of the bridge.

We originally had rhythm guitars, bass and drum tracks but everything seemed to be competing with the piano. The piano “left hand” is really nailing a good bass line and without playing it myself I don’t think I could come with something that wouldn’t step on the piano. After removing the bass I decided to just go as basic as possible and kept removing. So imagine, say Marcia Ball, playing/singing and a fine country fiddler walks by and sees a light on…..

*Published in 1914 St. Louis Blues is firmly in the public domain even by the very strict US standards; consequently, we own all rights to this production.

Comments are always both welcomed and appreciated.

J&B

Vocal: Rodes NT1 mic > Focusrite Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro. Effects via Nectar 2

Piano:  Midi Super Track 2067 Piano 40’s Boogie Rhythm. Rendered to midi/Logic Pro X Yamaha Grand sound/Alloy 2/EMT Plate Sim Reverb (minimalist solo comped from multiple generations of the rhythm track)

Fiddle:  Solo 1872 Western Swing/ EMT Plate Sim Reverb

Fiddle R:  1115 Back ground country swing/ EMT Plate Sim Reverb

Mixed in Logic Pro X and mastered with Ozone 6.