Hi All,

A little feedback from the co-writer here. The entire evolution of this song was an experiment in which I posted several versions and also got "professional" feedback from people in Nashville at the same time.

Matcham asked a question about whether one has to follow Ralph Murphy's rules where every song sung by a male has to have a hero, and I will try and answer that, too.

Here is everything I have learned and how it started.

1.) The song in version one started as kind of a silly version while I was in a silly mood one day, but I played it for my church home group and they begged me to record it. So, I did. Version 1.

2.) Floyd listened and said I should take the song seriously, and eventually asked me if he could take a whack at it.

3.) Nashville asked for like 4 rewrites and one person said it had to end with a chorus, another said it had to end with the verse, another said ditch Mom and Dad and make Verse 2 about the girl.

4.) My local songwriters group got mad at me for taking out Mom and Dad and said I had ruined the song by taking professional advice. They said go back to version one and tell the professionals where to go.

5.) Floyd politely asked me if he could take a whack at it. I gave him complete and total artistic freedom to do whatever he wanted to do, with no restrictions. I told him I wanted him to sing it and produce it as an ARTIST. He said he felt very strongly about the song and wanted to cover it as an artist, with a rewrite. I was honored.

6.) In the collab, Floyd did not follow any rules. He re-arranged, rewrote, and sang from his heart as an artist. That is what is coming out here--not formula, artistry. Artistry will always win in the end. His version gave me goosebumps.

7.) While the person in this song is not a "hero" he does not need to be--the final verses let you know that he still has the choice to become a hero should he decide to be, and he knows he has learned his lesson and he knows he still has a choice.

8.) Collabs are awesome as Herb said and that is why I spend so much time on the forum. Now I have a new artist to co-write with. I did not need to go to Nashville to find a professional co-writer and new friend. I found one here--on this forum. And he is also a master producer and engineer. Why I am so involved in participating on the forum and getting involved? Question answered. And--you ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait.

9.) The best feedback I have received on my work, and the best help I have received HAS BEEN ON THIS FORUM. PERIOD AND END OF SENTENCE. There is enormous talent here for people who want to make friends, find collaborators and get involved.

10.) As Herb mentioned in another post I had on forum etiquette, it makes sense to make friends. I loved a particular drum setting one buddy was using and sent a message asking how he got it. I got an email back in 15 minutes telling me the names of plug-ins and EQ settings. I said thanks. You won't get that if you are not involved. Just sayin'.

So, there is the history, and what I learned.

Bottomline: The Band in a Box Community Rules. What a wonderful, wonderful place to find friends.