Video: Don't Sell It, Don't Give it Away
Audio: Don't Sell It, Don't Give it Away

Four years ago Janice was still in transition from years of singing bluegrass to exploring new genres (thanks to BiaB!). We had been on this forum for only a few months, had yet to do our first collaboration and I had not discovered our current production software.

"Don't Sell It" along with a couple of others at that time received some positive forum comments that help us believe it was worth our efforts to move into new genres. A month afterwards we completed our first collaboration (with floyd) and I began an endeavor to learn more about mixing, production software and songwriting and move beyond my decades of recording strictly bluegrass (old dog, new tricks stuff smile )

We felt the tune would work with a video and deserved a new mix (hopefully, I have improved somewhat over the years!). So during the holidays I built this video and completely remixed the song moving all the tracks from GarageBand to Logic Pro X. We wanted to keep the solo/fill tracks the same so they weren't regenerated. Also Janice wanted to keep her old vocal as it is reflective of the time.

The mix goal was to emulate an early Western Swing sound.  Some of the first WS bands (1920's - 30's) had not yet added drums and used what we call a "sock rhythm" guitar and sometimes what bluegrassers call a "chop rhythm" mandolin along with the upright bass, fiddle and piano (the piano and fiddle tended to play pretty hot under the vocal...much more so than was done later on in WS). 

I included the following info in the original post. "We discovered the roots of this tune at PublicDomain4U listed under “folk blues.” Oscar Woods first recorded the tune and it is noted primarily for the fact that he played a National steel guitar in the lap Hawaiian style. This may be the beginning of many country and blues styles on this instrument. According to some reports he lived on until the 1950’s while others say that he disappeared in 1938. It's a shame so little is known about him. I played around with the lyrics to make them a bit less risqué and to make them from the female perspective (and added a minor chord)."

Pardon the ramble, Happy New Year, and we always appreciate your time to listen and comment!

J&B

Janice: vocal (Blue USB mic)
Bass Kickoff: Real Track 462 Jazz soloist
Guitar: RealTrack 559 Jazz Rhythm - 4 to the bar.
Mandolin: RealTrack 616 Country - bouncy rhythm
Piano: RealTrack 450 Jazz - “A” only
Piano: RealTrack 1865 Western Swing solo (comped from multiple RT generations)
Fiddle: RealTrack 1296 Western Swing Rhythm
Fiddle: RealTrack 1871 Western Swing Solo (comped from multiple RT generations)

Mixed in Logic Pro
Effects: Ozone 7 Advanced, Alloy 2, Nectar 2 and Logic Pro.

The lyric is shown in the video.