Tornado!

It’s no secret to many forum members that Janice and I played in several bluegrass bands over many years before moving to our mostly blues and Americana format. And many folks also know about our love of mountain biking. This video includes a BiaB RT bluegrass composition and photos of the two of us from the mid 90’s to the present. We attempted to combine two things we love into this production smile

During our bluegrass years we had the privilege of playing and recording with some world class musicians. As the rhythm section (bass and guitar) we heard a LOT of great picking.

I was a bit reluctant to try and put together an instrumental bluegrass tune because, although not a lead picker, I am aware of the subtleties in bluegrass instrumentals from my long time association with it and I was not sure that I could get a cohesive sound from the solo instruments. With BiaB they’re gonna play great riffs, be in tune and timed correctly but so much of bluegrass is one player working off another, etc. All meaning that I had to comp a good bit to get the solos to at the least “seem” to work together and especially to get the segues from one instrument to the next to sound, hopefully, fluid and natural. Also it was necessary to comp in the bluegrass “G run” at the appropriate spots. I tried something like this several years ago and wasn’t happy with the results so decided to give it another go.

Thanks to floyd jane for the title and to Janice for listening to a zillion permutations smile And as always a big shout out to the "PG Pickers!"

So hang on for a short fast ride! Your comments are always welcome.

Bud

PS Pardon the ramble…it was an interesting experiment - whether successful or not.

RT 427 Bass, acoustic. rhythm
RT 431 Guitar, acoustic, rhythm
RT 427 Banjo, rhythm
RT 426 Banjo, solo
RT 429 fiddle, rhythm
RT 430 fiddle, solo
RT 432 mandolin, rhythm
RT 436 mandolin, solo

Multiple generations of each rhythm and solo tracks were comped to create a single track for each instrument.

All tracks were processed with Neutron and an EMT 140 Reverb simulation.

Mixed in Logic Pro X and Mastered via Ozone 7 advanced

Tornado!