I recently rediscovered the joy of recording jazz using the Band in a Box swinging rhythm section.

1) I typed in my own harmonization of WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN and then added an intro and outro.

2) After muting the piano (as I would be playing my own), I saved as a MIDI file and imported the file into LogicExpress.

3) The individual drum components were placed on separate tracks so I could EQ, reverb, and level each of the component
parts individually into the mix. I found the bass playing an octave too low so I simply transposed it up one octave.

4) I then improvised several performances of my piano part using several tracks. I then pieced together an acceptable
composite of several performances and then edited notes, rhythms and velocities. One 16th-note run was composed right
on the screen.

5) I then went back to change some of the drum and bass parts so as to better support my piano playing. This was fun -
adding accents and such.

6) I played around further for a couple of days and finally came up with a final mix which is posted up on iCompositions. Here 'tis -

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=126853

Constructive comments most welcome. Thanks for listening.

gpt

Last edited by georgeptingley; 11/15/09 02:02 PM.