Hey,

I know several members on this forum are involved with or pursuing various sync licensing companies for songs as either A.) "opportunities" (one shot cash on the barrel head deals for single use television spots, for example) or B.) as "blanket licenses" where you may get paid if someone streams your stuff in restaurants or decides to use it in a t.v. show four years from now and use it and over and over. A.) is easy. B.) gets tricky because you can get thrown into streaming services OR performance royalty situations. You have to read the payment term descriptions of these multiple use opportunities very carefully.

I sought answers from one source and the answers I got were somewhat complex as to which bucket my songs might eventually eventually fall into (performance royalty or streaming usage) since they said "well that is all decided on a case by case basis--it depends. You have to study the deal terms."

Since "it depends" is not an answer I feel entirely comfortable with I called a rep at ASCAP (where I have both a publishing ID and a songwriter ID) and she said:

"Hey, it's this simple. Never sign any agreement with anybody if the agreement does not say that the client will give you copies of monthly or at least quarterly cue sheets sent to ASCAP should they decide to use your songs on t.v. or ads. If you do not see that in the agreement, don't do it. If it is not in there, demand it. Period and end of sentence."

I know people like Herb have a profound knowledge of this domain and might be able to shed a little light on safeguards to put into place or things to watch out for before you rush too fast into posting songs on all these sync licensing boards.

Herb? Joanne?

Any other experts with advice or cautionary tales?