Dear Anyone.

OK, I know every project's different so there's no one-size-fits-all advice but there's gotta be some goto steps I can fall back on...

So I've got a piano piece and strings, not individual stringed instruments (though no doubt they would be better if my skills were!) but one of thos STRINGS patches you get. I'm using Edirol Orchestral. And to keep this very simple, I just want to put string chords sitting behind the piano. Right now, I cannot make piano sit in front of strings to save my life. I have tried every possible combination of EQ/reverb/other processes on both piano and strings (apart from the right one, obviously!)and had about as much luck as I do playing Roulette (hint, I don't win much!)

Please, could someone patiently walk me through how to make string chords sit BEHIND a piano tune from start to finish, and what dumbass mistakes to look out for (believe you me I'll make 'em if not told otherwise!)

I want to end up with a New Agey piano and strings sound (you're bound to have heard the sorta thing in elevators and shopping malls!) I know Edirol isn't the world's greatest package but it's the one I've got for now and as I'm getting all the sounds from there they should work together better, no? Once I can make Edirol piano sit in front of Edirol strings I'll buy better stuff cos I'll know the basics. If anyone needs examples of what I'm trying to make my pieces sound like I'll give YouTube links but think Richard Clayderman, Anime music, Kevin Kern, anyone like that.

Treat me like I'm as stoopid as I'm feeling right now!!

Have fun!

Chris.