The show must go on.

I've got a few stories to tell about this so I'll start with this one.

I carry spare cables two wind synths (because they can cover guitar, sax, and synth parts), a spare mic, spare computer and anything I can carry but I can't carry everything - just almost everything.

We bring 3 computers up and running at all times on stage, and we only need two. On a gig, the hard drive of the computer that plays my backing tracks started to make a grinding noise. I quickly switched the USB->Audio cable to the up and running spare, and finished the gig. Not a single person other than my duo partner, Leilani knew we were in trouble for a few seconds. The next day I replaced the hard drive so I would still have a spare computer up and running.

I also carry mp3s (192k) on a flash drive so if a failed computer is not repairable, all I have to do is get a new one, and it's ready to go with Windows Media Player.

I always try to keep my gear in good working order, but sometimes the gear will quit with no warning, so I try to keep covered for the most frequent causes of failure (cables), and everything that is practical after that (computers, sound modules, instruments, etc.)

The show MUST go on. All this is cheap insurance because in most places, if you blow the gig, you not only do not get paid for that gig, but you lose plenty of additional gigs - word of mouth travels fast among entertainment purchasers.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks