#442191 - 12/02/17 05:05 PM
[Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh]
Band-in-a-Box 2017 Build 186 Update (Dec 2)
PG Music Staff
An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017Download the Band-in-a-Box 2017 Build 186 update Summary of changes for Version 2017 Build 186, since Build 184 (Dec 2, 2017):
Summary of changes for Version 2017 Build 184, since Build 180 (Sept 26, 2017):
- Added: Support for Xtra styles content released November 2017
- Fixed: Some dialogs would prevent menus and their hot-keys from working.
- Fixed: Setting "Audio Master (Base) Tempo" does not take effect until reloading the song.
- Fixed: Cut/Copy/Paste was not working by hot-keys in editable text layers.
- Fixed: Cut/Copy/Paste was not working by hot-keys in note-based lyric editing.
- Fixed: Copy Lyrics to Clipboard feature does not copy lyrics unless "Include Chords" is checked.
- Fixed: The playback cursor in the Audio Edit window would sometimes jump forward and then back briefly.
- Fixed: In the Audio Edit window, "Mark this point as Bar 1 of the song" would mark the wrong point if song tempo did not match the audio master tempo.
- Fixed: It was not possible to set Audio Master Tempo to zero.
- Fixed: Audio goes out of sync if: audio track uses bar one offset, song has tempo changes, and audio base tempo that does not match song tempo.
- Fixed: Freezing the Bass track did not work if it was a MIDI style.
- Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash when saving a song with certain VST plugins, or when saving a .pxf preset file from the plugin (eg. EZ Drummer 2).
Summary of changes for Version 2017 Build 180, since Build 175 (July 19, 2017):
- Fixed: Changing the color setting for "Window background" in the Audio Edit window had no effect.
- Fixed: Hitting [Cancel] in the Audio Edit Settings dialog would cause a random zoom to occur.
- Fixed: The [Sample] button in the Audio Edit window would zoom in to the far left of the screen, rather than to the cursor.
- Fixed: If opening a song that was saved in the Windows version, the first character of these lead sheet fields would be missing: "Style", "Tempo", "Copyright", "Composer", and "Composer2".
- Fixed: Fixed: Disabling "Draw interpolation" would cause random lines between sample points in the Audio Edit window.
- Fixed: If a THRU harmony is selected, then Band-in-a-Box would freeze when soloing the Soloist or Thru tracks.
- Fixed: MIDI sustain pedal would not be shut off when stopping song or hitting Panic button.
- Fixed: "Individual MIDI Tracks" in the Render dialog did not work.
- Fixed: Dragging to the WAV quadrant of the drop station would ignore the "Drag Master as separate tracks" setting.
- Fixed: There would be duplicate buttons in the custom tool panel.
- Fixed: The vertical zoom buttons in the Audio Edit window were missing.
- Fixed: The New Features menu items would link to the Windows web pages.
- Fixed: The VU Meters window would always indicate sound activity at -25 dB when lower than -25 dB.
- Updated: PDF Manual.
Summary of changes for Version 2017 Build 175, since Build 173 (May 25, 2017):
- Fixed: For localized versions, the long style name would be wrong on the main screen.
- Fixed: Sometimes RealTracks would play a dominant 7th chord for plain major triad song chords.
- Changed: "Tempo/Pitch Stretching Quality" now defaults to medium instead of low.
- Fixed: If there were any style changes in a song, the Bar Settings layer would display "Style changes" on any bar that had any other type of changes (eg tempo, volume).
- Improved: Elastique has been updated from version 3.1.8 to 3.1.11.
- Fixed: The Play-Loop popup menu was all blank.
- Fixed: The Play-Loop button (in normal screen mode) was not displaying a check mark.
- Fixed: "Save all tracks as M4A file..." was missing from the Master context menu.
- Fixed: Drag and drop would fail if the song title contained invalid file name characters (eg slashes).
- Fixed: Drag and drop would fail if the song title contained a period (eg "Up with the Trees - BGRock.Sty Demo").
- Fixed: If a flash message was showing, copy/cut/paste commands would not work in dialogs.
- Fixed: The Chord Builder would not update to the current bar/beat when re-opening the window.
- Updated: Activation dialog has been improved.
- Added: Web links have been added to the Help menu.
- Fixed: Some hints in the Chord Builder were not showing transposed notes, and a % symbol was showing instead.
- Fixed: The right arrow key would not work in the chord sheet during playback if "MIDI Keyboard Wizard Enabled" was enabled.
- Fixed: New lines for sections on the chord sheet was not allowed when the song had repeats.
- Added: Several requested 'genre' user categories in the StylePicker.
- Fixed: The popup menus in the Chord Builder were not showing any chord descriptions.
Summary of changes for Version 2017 Build 173, since Build 171 (May 3, 2017):
- Added: The RealTracks Settings dialog now has a choice of low/medium/high for Elastique stretching quality, instead of just high quality on or off (high quality disabled meant medium).
- Fixed: The "Select Hi-Q MIDI Patch Plugin" menu item should be available to the Melody, Soloist, and Thru tracks.
- Fixed: Audio Unit plugins would be erased from the exclude list while booting up Band-in-a-Box.
- Fixed: Plugins on the Thru track should not be removed when loading a style or song.
- Fixed: Sforzando and Amplitube should not be listed in the Plugins dialog unless they are installed.
- Fixed: Keyboard input might stop working after using the Preferences dialog.
- Fixed: Clicking on a mixer piano would send the event to the default synth, rather than the plugin on that track.
- Fixed: Options > Return to Factory Settings... would cause various problems (eg. the chord sheet would be squished to the left).
Summary of changes since version 2017 Build 170 (April 20, 2017):
- Drag and drop from Master to MIDI quadrant would fail with errors.
- When opening an XML file, the current song would be erased if the user clicked Cancel in the file open dialog.
- The extended RealDrums patch descriptions were not displaying on the mixer.
- A mixer patch description would be blank for RealDrums on non-drums tracks.
- When you select a style with your cursor or keyboard and hit return, the StylePicker closes but your selected style wasn't chosen.
- "Memo:" should not be showing in the Titles dialog.
- If you select a song in the Titles dialog then sort by something, it jumps to the top and loses your selected song.
- If you type in random words in the filter in the Titles dialog it shows up with lots of entries.
- The [Show all] button in the Titles dialog doesn't work. It deletes the text but doesn't show you all the songs available.
- The [Defaults] button in the Titles dialog reveals a whole bunch more hidden empty columns.
- The [Save list] button in the Titles dialog doesn't function.
- Step advance issues in the notation window.
- In the notation window regular advance in editable mode should advance to the 1st or 3rd peg of a beat that has 4 pegs on it.
- Band-in-a-Box might crash if user clicks on any of the main menus while booting up.
- The 'F3' hot key symbol did not display in some popup menus.
- For some cases of opening or saving a file (eg choosing VST plugins), the file dialog would not open in the right directory.
- The menu item "Insert Current MIDI chord" should display command+return as the hot key instead of control+return. Both work, but control+return is impossible to do with one hand on a standard Apple keyboard.
- Update patches are downloaded into "/Band-in-a-Box/Data/Updates" instead of "/Band-in-a-Box/Data".
- If running Band-in-a-Box in a language other than English, automatic updates should not report available English update patches.
- Choosing to save a song would ask to "save as", as if the song file did not already exist.
- Blues chords were showing up when importing xml.
- Whole song was not saved to xml.
- Program could freeze when saving to xml.
- Program would crash if attempting to save xml to root of hard drive.
- 2017 PDF full and upgrade manuals.
- Small omissions/typos in Artist Bio's.
- Fixed: Chord sheet fonts were limited to a maximum size that would not quite fill the cells. This would cause superscript extensions to sit too high above the roots.
- Fixed: Some hot keys were not working if in the notation window (eg. command+3 to mute bass, control+T to change screen mode, etc.).
- Fixed: The Select Song by Title dialog would not use the correct directory.
- Fixed: "Open Previous Style" is set for "At program bootup..." then the user would be asked if they wanted to save their song when loading a different song.
- Fixed: Save As did not work. All files would be saved with the name "No File Name.sgu".
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts
Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus
There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!
Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®
Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...
The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature
If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!
Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!
Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.
Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!
Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!
Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)
We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.
Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist
Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!
Here's some of the amazing feedback we've received lately, from program users just like you!
Arthritic fingers means I find it very difficult to play anything. This program is amazing - and it does use real musicians!
The power of this program is just unbelievable! It's been a best kept secret for a couple of decades now. A song writer's dream!
This band can practice any time of day ...LOL
Band-in-a-Box works so simple you could teach a child to do it within minutes - the RealTracks are amazing. Doing an album as we speak. I challenge you to give it a try. I am 60 years old and even though I've played 50 years, I am no engineer. But as a song writer I needed some effective tools to create quality production of my work. This is IT! It's as easy as typing and filling in the blanks. The instructional videos allow you to change settings while watching the pro. I myself purchased every "RealTrack" I could get... Take it from me, don't let this overwhelm you. It is absolutely a writer and solo artist dream!
Best part of Band-in-a-Box is that it saves me having to program drums, the Real Drummer part of the software is brilliant and natural sounding. I then layer real instruments with guys from my band. As a songwriter, Band-in-a-Box has saved me so much time it's ridiculous.
Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "Band-in-a-Box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy. ;)
Been a BIAB man since '92, such a comprehensive source for music making! So much more to offer than "loops", it allows actual music composition to be realized. Evolve from harmonic ignorance and find out what REAL music is made of!
A must for any musician who wants to improve on his own, or to share his musical ideas in a professional high quality rendition.. You just play with the best musicians and that's great ♪ :)
I use Band in a Box all the time. I couldn't be more pleased. It's easy to use and it sounds super-big time!
An excellent tool for generating backing tracks. Saves me hours of MIDI programming. Combines the best of MIDI and live audio samples.
Video Help - My Band-in-a-Box® Won't Open!
Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM