AKA Praise for the BIAB Melodist

Saw a similar post in the BIAB forum last month here: In Praise of the Melodist! - By Cooltouch

Thought I would continue here in this forum more for the songwriting aspect.

I'm a very analytical, black/white, 1s and 0s kind of thinker. I've been this way all my life and I do not have a creative bone in my body. But I'm a good IT geek. I've yet to submit my own song to the User Showcase (Hoping to change that in 2018). I've been in bands in the past and spent a lot of time recording them as well. I just haven't really written ANYTHING of my own material. I've been a forum member and BIAB/RB owner for 4 years this week and I've finally now learned the Melodist.

So what I've found with the Melodist is that it can generate chords, melody, or both. In my case, I just need to create a melody as I write my own chords with the Chord Map (see attached at the bottom of post). Those creative, talented folks that hang around here simply step up to a piano or whip out the guitar and run some scales up and down a few times and have a melody riff. I can't do that! frown

So once I have a BIAB song setup with my style and all the verses & choruses bars set up with chords, I'll highlight 4 or 8 bars of the verse and open the melodist. I leave pretty much all the settings stock and make sure that the box is set to keep the melody in the current style. Once I click OK on the box, I go to the melody in the Piano Roll view and then I can drag notes around in pitch and time until I'm happy with the result. If the melody is too blah to edit, I'll just wipe it and melodist again. Once I have it finalized, I'll copy that verse melody to the rest of the verse parts of the song then I highlight 4 or 8 bars of the chorus and rinse and repeat the melodist.

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences in this situation.

Now on to lyrics..... argggghh. Hey, wait! I can use the post above to write a song about not being able to write songs! Eureka! Maybe kind of like this:

Tenacious D - Tribute

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Chord Map.jpg (14.61 KB, 96 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory