Although I long ago lost any illusions I had about this business of music, there's always a glimmer of hope that something will leap forward and "change the world."

Although I'm the age of many of the long timer musicians, I didn't come to songwriting lyrics and being a musician until late in life, like age 61. I played piano for many years, not well, and was a product of the 60s of which the practical side of me went to college and became a public certified accountant who could earn money and have a successful career. I always liked music but was never serious about it until recently. Sometimes I feel like a failure because I do not have all those years of playing in a band or being a semi professional musician mastering an instrument. I spent those years in college, getting a degree and becoming a successful business owner and a certified public accountant. Am I now to feel any less successful because I'm not a top notch musician? Many of us, including old timers have given up on the music industry. In reality, it's not us, but a world of corporate insiders who only promote their own or young talent that they can maximize their profits. They wouldn't take a chance on negotiating with mature musicians who know to hire attorneys and make sure they're being treated fairly. What's in it for us, only the personal satisfaction of a job well done. Sort of an Emily Dickinson catalog of songs to leave for the world, as if anyone would really care.
My husband told me today that the Beatles didn't write a lot of their songs, many other people did. Not surprised since they were touring and songwriting takes a lot of time. The Beatles were a studio band put together by global investors. Much like Taylor Swift, her father purchased a publishing company with investors and promoted her and hired professional songwriters. This is the formula for most of the corporate music industry today. There was a time in the 60s when so much fresh talent was coming out, almost too much to be recognized. A time when the global corporate music industry had not taken over and a lot of small labels and more radio airplay, it was great. But that time has come and gone and who knows when or
what the next big wave will be.

Last edited by Belladonna; 01/14/18 07:43 PM.