Originally Posted By: andrewmcn
I wanted to build my own pc that would help to render BIAB tunes that I create. Where should I invest the money for the biggest bang for the buck? Processor? Skip graphics card? What should the focus be on?

Thanks!

-Andrew

This is the best way to do home recording.... build or buy a machine that will be dedicated to the music.

I've used both with good results. The important part is to have a really nice USB interface. That's the sound card. You really don't want to try to use the soundcard in the computer.

Most computers today are more than sufficient and powerful enough to do everything you need. Just use a good interface and you'll be just fine.

I have a Dell laptop that I used for several years with a Focusrite interface and it did an amazing job. Later, well, it's been over 10 years ago now, I built a custom DAW with the i5 Intel chip and running XP pro 32bit. That machine is still running rock solid and it now uses the Focusrite interface that was on the Dell. The benefit to the custom build was it didn't come from the factory loaded with bloatware and unnecessary software taking up drive space.

I keep my main DAW totally off the internet. As a result, I don't get surprise updates that screw up my configuration.

But yeah.... I think you'll be fine with either a build or an off the shelf machine. Put the focus on the interface, the speakers you monitor with , and some good software besides PG's fabulous stuff.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.