I ran the Focusrite configuration tool and it was indeed at 24 bit 48000. I changed it to 44,100 and loaded a song up. And I got that error again, BUT... the problem was that the song file was created downstairs before I realized the bit rate default on that sound card was 24 bit 48000. I just resampled and that is now good.

THEN, I went to a blank file to try and generate a new song upstairs because I haven't done that in a while. Every time I hit the style picker, BIAB launched itself, and due to that "too many installations" problem I locked up and had to quit through task manager. Is BIAB supposed to launch in the background like that? I never noticed that before, probably because there was never a license issue.

Okay, THEN I decided to play with the MIDI some. Nightmare. But it's dinner time and I will mess with that more tomorrow. Short story is that when I played the keyboard I saw the MIDI activity light flash on the interface but I was not playing sounds form the virtual synth I had selected (Cakewalk TSS-1). Everything was on channel 1, when I played the on screen keyboard with my mouse it made sound from the keyboard that was attached, but not from the virtual synth on the screen. I haven't played with MIDI in RB for like 4 years so I have to remember stuff.

That license issue will fix itself when I buy 2018 so I'm not all that worried about that.

D I need to uninstall the old when I install the new?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."