As follow-up to my previous post (which was sort of a "point-counterpoint" addendum to the topic) I feel compelled to reinforce Bob's original point about BIAB being more than capable of creating tracks for cover songs.

Anybody who is using music creation software to record covers needs to address the signature licks one way or another. They also have to address the background instruments.

BIAB stands alone in its ability to generate the basic background tracks in just about any style. So if the alternative plan is to record ALL of the tracks in Pro Tools, then BIAB just made the job a lot easier by taking care of the backing tracks. With or without BIAB, creating note for note reproductions is going to require some MIDI or performed tracks.

People who can't play the signature riffs or combine MIDI with BIAB output have two options:

1) embrace their own version of the song and stop worrying about the signature licks

2) resort to karaoke tracks

I've done both. Building a good sounding cover in BIAB is much more satisfying, but it does take longer and requires more skill.