Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

I found this version of your song a wonderful listen.

The mood that you’ve managed to create is one of reflection edged with sentimentality and wistfulness. At no time, though, do these words become weighted with either regret or bitterness. The topic matter has certainly been handled with adept penmanship.

The lyrics, your singing, the melody and the arrangement all work together like the sections of a classical orchestra and create a really fine and very satisfying overall musical journey for the listener. The clarity of the final mix is outstanding. There is no hint of muddiness nor harmonic ambiguity anywhere. At the end of the song, I simply sat there pondering everything you’d sung and how you'd presented it. That’s a wonderful testament to your abilities.

The singer/songwriter feel that, at least to my ears, seems to be the foundation stone upon which the presentation is built is an extraordinarily good choice for the production. It boosts the song's ability to resonate with sincerity and honesty.

Through my speakers, everything that I heard was

Not so long ago, I was reading through an article on literary terminology and one of the topics that I’d just finished reading when I first listened to your song was about Connotation. This is to do with choosing words appropriately to help amplify meaning of surrounding words. As I’m sure anyone who reads this can appreciate, this is the proverbial ‘bread and butter’ of lyric writing. Maybe it was because of my reading that when I heard “Everlasting red” in the first verse, light bulbs flashed inside my mind. This is SUCH a good use of connotation.

The classic image of names in a red lipstick heart; not just an ordinary red lipstick heart, though. This shade is called ‘everlasting’ red! What a skilled play on words, too! The sense of ‘everlasting’ as the lipstick is permanent as well as the love that the heart conveys. Most importantly, though, "everlasting" is the pivot to "forever" and amplifies and foreshadows the hook so incredibly well. However I look at it, this is connotation at its very, very best.

Once again, I have thoroughly enjoyed the musical and lyrical journey on which you have taken me. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - your thoughts on songs are always in-depth, perceptive and enlightening... And pleasing to the writer! This is a delight. Thank you. You are such an asset to this forum - and to us all...