Because of my peculiar writing style, I can tell whether I began a song idea from music or from lyrics.

Because of my notorious radio surfing habit, I can hear a small portion or the very end of a song on the radio and either 'like' the song or instantly hit the button to continue surfing from that first impression.

Rarely is my attraction to a song brought on by lyrics.

Thus, if the song with the greatest lyrics ever written has an 18 second musical intro that does not attract me, I'll likely not hear those great lyrics and if I do, it is quite likely they will not alter my reaction from the initial negative reaction to the music.

"Something"

Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me

I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

Somewhere in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover
Something in her style that shows me

Don't want to leave her now

You're asking me will my love grow
I don't know, I don't know
You stick around now it may show
I don't know, I don't know

Something in the way she knows
And all I have to do is think of her
Something in the things she shows me

Don't want to leave her now

This is considered to be one of the great love songs. It is a personal favorite of mine. The single word title effectively explains the entire song that rambles on for just over 3 minutes of repetition of a 'something' that's never defined. We never learn what the something is nor anything of the girl who has the 'something' nor do we really learn much detail of the singer. The song appears to me to mostly ignore what most agree are the elements that make a song interesting.

For me, a song captures me with the music and arrangement.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/23/18 05:01 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.