https://soundcloud.com/phil-leith/im-alive-original

This song ... literally came to me in a dream. Like, last wednesday morning. Ok, sort of. What came to me was the "I'm Alive, I'm Alive blah blah blah blah" part. Complete with the melody and harmony for that snippet.

Picture yourself in a convertible, driving up the Pacific Coast Highway on a warm sunny day, reflecting on your life, when you listen.

Here's the cool thing about BIAB. Less than a week later... this. Not possible without BIAB. Not for me anyway.

Wrote, arranged, and produced, and sang all the vocals except for the quiet ooh's and aaahs leading up to the chorus ... I tried their ooohs and aaahs. Mechanical ... probably because they were sampled at 085 and my song is at 140 BPM, but at this volume, they work ok. I kept them pretty subtle.

I bounced all this off Bob Buford, who was adamant that I find filler instrumental for the breaks between lyrics. It's a thing. He was right, though, it's better. I was looking for a decent dobro soloist, but I ended up using the Knopfler style "Dire Bluesey" and I think it works. Very close to what I had in mind.

Lyrics are on SoundCloud.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: I'm Alive
File:I'm Alive.SGU
Key=E , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:47
No intro. 131 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 131. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 868 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BOWE110.STY (Acoustic Guitar w/ Even Bow Bass)

RealTracks in style: ~2488:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 512:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Dire Ev 140 (Bluesy)
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^3-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
RealTracks Vocal Oohs-Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085 David Wise/Shelly Justice

Produced in Reaper using Xcomp, ReaVerb, Acon Digital Multiplier, ReaTune. And Bob Buford to bounce it all off of.

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/30/18 11:31 AM.